The Green Light Project is an initiative to bring an original, interactive sculpture to the community, to be displayed on the New Haven Green during the darkest and coldest months of the year. The purpose of the sculpture is to enhance the luster of the seasonal display on the Green, create a focal point for congregation and connection, and express our commitment to the well-being of the people who inhabit our city, nation and world. The sculpture will also house a time capsule filled with words of wisdom and well wishes for humanity from perhaps thousands of members of the Greater New Haven community, connecting community across time. The time capsule will be opened in the year 2138 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the founding of New Haven, CT.
YHC has commissioned Edwin “Ted” Salmon to create this symbol of the human spirit in community. Salmon was chosen from a highly competitive lineup of artist submissions for the Green Light Project. The sculpture will take on the concept of the obelisk —reminiscent of a lighthouse and adorned with silhouette images representing various facets of community—and will stand 15 feet high and be visible from all sides of The Green.
As a part of the campaign, YHC is hosting a number of events to give the community an opportunity to engage with and contribute to the Green Light Project. All events are open to the public and everyone is encouraged to attend. These events include:
- An Evening with the Artist, Overshores Brewing Co., 250 Bradley St. East Haven, CT, 5:30 – 8 PM, 4/15/2016
- Humanist Haven with Yarrow Dunham, The Grove, 760 Chapel St. New Haven, CT, 1 PM, 4/17/2016
- Strange Ways Pop Up, Strange Ways, 910 Whalley Ave. New Haven, CT, 12 – 4PM, 4/23/16
- Vintanthromodern Pop Up, Vintanthromodern, 938 State St. New Haven, CT, 2 – 6 PM, 4/24/16
- Artist Talk and Dessert Reception, New Haven Museum, 114 Whitney Ave. New Haven, CT, 7 PM, 4/27/2016
- Humanist Haven with Kenneth Morford, The Grove, 760 Chapel St. New Haven, CT, 1 PM, 5/1/2016
- Westville ArtWalk, Edgewood Park, New Haven, CT, 5 PM, 5/6/2016
- Westville ArtWalk, Edgewood Park, New Haven, CT, 9 AM, 5/7/2016
- Final Day of Campaign Celebration, Location TBA, Time TBA, 5/11/2016
For parties interested in learning more or donating to the Green Light Project, please go to http://bit.ly/GLProject
For press inquiries, questions, or more information please contact Director of Operations Nancy Kelly at 203-900-7YHC (203-900-7942) or email@example.com.